DIY – Kyaiktiyo Pagoda as a day trip from Yangon
Everyone visiting the famous Kyaiktiyo Pagoda(Golden Rock), thinks it is not possible to do it as a day trip from Yangon. As a result, they end up spending an extra day on the mountain or at the base camp at Kinpun. But if you have the will and courage, you can easily complete a trip to the Golden Rock in a day, starting and ending in Yangon.
I have done it and I will tell you how can you do it as well.
- 06.30 AM – Take a taxi to Aung Mingalar bus station (Cost – 8000 Kyat; Time – 45 minutes)
- 07.15 AM – Reach Aung Mingalar bus station and ask the driver to stop at a bus heading to Kinpun (Cost – 7000 Kyat). Buses leave to Kinpun every one hour. Have a breakfast and buy water at the bus station, since the bus does not stop in between.
- 07.30 AM – Catch the bus and head to Kinpun (Time – 3.5 hours).
- 11.oo AM – Reach Kinpun and have your lunch, not many eating options available at the Kyaiktiyo Pagoda.
- 11.30 AM – Go the truck station, from where you have to take a truck taxi to the pagoda (Cost – 2500 Kyats, Time – 45 minutes)
- 12.30 PM – Reach the pagoda and spend two hours (Entrance fees for foreigner – USD 6)
- 02.30 PM – Take a truck taxi back to Kinpun
- 03.15 PM – Eat a snack
- 03.30 PM – Bus back to Yangon
- 06.00 PM – Reach Aung Mingalar bus station and take a taxi back to your hotel in Yangon
- 06.45 PM – Reach hotel